Free Write: MisRead

11:13 PM

He found me in the bookstore. Barefoot. My black sandals with the golden buckles laying calmly beside me, taking in the smell of new books. I was sitting between the titles labeled fiction. His gray backpack slung across his inflated chest, resting lazily on his hip. I wonder what he carried in his little satchel. He looked down at me and I saw the recognition in his eye. Hello beautiful. I do recognize you. Yes. It is me. He didn’t have to say the words. I knew they were there. I could see them forming on his lips.

I put my finger between the oatmeal colored pages and stared up at him. Expectantly. He just smiled and continued to browse through the multi-colored spines. Concentrating a little too hard. Focusing on the words a little too much.
So you going to act like you don’t know me? Like you weren’t on the phone with me last night, whispering melodic words and naughty secrets as I fought sleep? Was that not you sitting at my feet in the park singing as I played my guitar? So you going to act like that thing didn’t happen in the back seat of my father’s Camaro? That was just last week. We came so close. You going to stand there knowingly ignoring me? As though I mean nothing? Yeah? That’s how we’re doing it now?

Why?

We love the same plays. We bop our heads to the same music, letting our long hair flow free. You turned me on to real hip hop my junior year of college on those dirty Brooklyn streets in front of my mom’s house. That was me. Who were you? Certainly not this zombie in the fiction aisle of the overpriced book store scanning the same titles just to avoid looking at me. You couldn’t be the insensitive jackass with the gray backpack filled with wonder and curiosity.

And you certainly couldn’t be this guy whose girlfriend turned down the aisle and casually grabbed his hand. The guy that kissed this pretty girl with diamond studs rocking a low cut caesar. Couldn’t be the same guy that told me forever isn’t long enough to share a life with me. Perhaps forever had been cut short by the girl with the red shorts and no hair.

But alas, there you were. And you were him. I suddenly didn’t feel like reading anymore. I packed up my books and slowly lifted myself off of the cheaply carpeted floor. I lost my page. Oh well.

I walked past you and her. She never took her dark brown eyes off of the literature, scanning the titles for something to pull her in. I got a story for you girl. It’s sure to knock your socks off.

Your gaze followed me up the aisle. Past you. And toward the door. I stared back, asking you all of the questions with silent lips and loud eyes. You mouthed that you were sorry. I couldn’t have said it better. Sorry ass motherlover. I nodded my agreement. You didn’t have to tell me what I already knew. I’m finished with you. I walked out.


I hate reading. Books are stupid anyway. I refuse to go to anymore bookstores. Coffee shops have better atmospheres anyway. And at least I can get a drink to wash down the hurt, anger, and disappointment that I sometimes order off of the greasy menu. They always serve those dishes cold. Maybe a little pick me up will make the bullshit go down smoother. Maybe it will help me forget about you. Maybe it will help me use all of this knowledge I ingest from books to pick a better man next time. Maybe.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images

Subscribe